Friday, May 10, 2019

GARBAGE

When I was about 12 years old, I discovered Garbage on the radio. "Only Happy When It Rains" came on and the lyrics were depressing in a dry-humor way. I was hooked. The first time I saw them live was at Voodoo Fest in November 2002, right before my 19th birthday. My parents were reluctant to let me go, but let's face it, Garbage would be there and so help me I would be, too. Years passed and they always came close to New Orleans, but never close enough. Then, they announced a tour to celebrate their 20th anniversary of their 2.0 album and New Orleans was on the list. I bought tickets for Zac and myself and tried not to die from excitement. Mom came with us and kept the kiddos in the hotel.

We made it to the hotel on Friday and had just enough time to unpack and eat something (my anxiety was through the roof and I could barely eat), then head to The Fillmore on foot. I was afraid we'd get there a little late and be stuck behind a long line of people, but we made it around the corner and even bumped into Duke Erikson, the guitarist. He was sweet enough to let me get a picture with him before he headed back inside. When the doors opened, I ran with Zac to get as close to the front as I could and managed to be in the second row. Pleasure Venom opened first, which introduced us to newer music to listen to, and then Garbage came out. It was amazing. She has so much energy, even now. It was the best date/Mother's Day/anything ever. After the show, I got a picture with Audrey from Pleasure Venom and bought some new pins. It was just so much fun. My boots were killing my feet (though, I didn't tell Zac), but we noticed the bike taxis showing up and requested one to bring us back to the hotel. He asked how the concert was and to pick a song for the ride, so I told him "Only Happy When it Rains". It was a blast.

No comments:

Post a Comment