Saturday, September 1, 2018

September Books

Zac went with Elias to pick up our groceries this morning while the big kids slept in and I slowly waddled my way from the bed to brushing my teeth to sitting at my computer browsing pictures of autumn leaves and crochet ideas. All the brood is feeling better aside from coughing.

We went to the library to pick out books for the week or so. I meant to list books last month, but I'm a slacker, so I'm going to list them now.

Jac has been reading a series called Warriors by Erin Hunter. The books are about four clans of wild cats who live in a shared forest and try to maintain the code of warriors set by their ancestors. He's been so enthusiastic about the series. I believe there are six different sets of series about each generation of warriors. The next series he wants to read is Dawn of the Clans. So far, the books he's read are:
  • Into the Wild
  • Fire and Ice
  • Forest of Secrets
  • Rising Storm
  • A Dangerous Path
  • The Darkest Hour (currently reading)
Leah started on the Judy Moody series, but she lost interest. I tried to get her into the Wildwood Chronicles by Colin Meloy and Carson Ellis, but the books are too big, so she's had a hard time finishing the first one. We checked it out three times, but she just never could stay focused on it. Zac started her on The Haunted Library series by Dori Hillestad Butler. So far, she's enjoying it.
  • The Haunted Library: Dori Hillestad Butler
  • Moon Pie: Simon Mason
  • The Sister's Club, Rule of Three: Megan McDonald (this is actually the second in a three-book series)
Elias was stuck on The Gruffalo and Room on the Broom for the longest time, so we've ventured out for a variety. He usually gets the most books with each visit.
  • Hello, Fall!: Deborah Diesen
  • 26 Letters and 99 Cents: Tana Hoban
  • Authur's Halloween Costume: Lillian Hoban
  • How to be a Cat: Nikki McClure
  • If Rocks Could Sing: Leslie McGuirk
  • It's Halloween, Dear Dragon: Margaret Hillert
  • Memoires of a Parrot: Devin Scillian
  • My Stinky Dog: Christine Roussey
  • Spoon: Amy Krouse Rosenthal
  • The Best Cat in the World: LeslĂ©a Newman
I'm very much loving all the reading going on right now. It was so hard getting the kids into reading, but they've come to embrace it. It's also helped get them away from the video game obsession (a struggle I know is all too real).

After the library, we stopped for doughnuts at Shipley's and then I picked up a decaf Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbuck's... something I've been looking forward to since November. I find it amusing that my belly encourages baristas to insist on no-caffeine, even though one cup a day isn't going to do any harm, but oh well. I'll just keep calling it a "small" instead of a "tall" because, let's face it, Starbucks is pretentious, but is the only coffee shop that makes a PSL worth spending $5 on.

No comments:

Post a Comment