Monday, September 26, 2016

September Blog Challenge: Day 26

What popular notion do you think the world has most wrong?

I think the world puts too much effort into telling people what is and isn't physically beautiful. There is beauty in everyone and everything, not everyone sees it. What I hate is how every year, these same people who think a thigh gap is attractive, come back and say thick thighs are now attractive. Eyebrows go from pencil thin to dramatically thick so often, I can't keep up. My eyebrows have been tweezed so much over the years, they grow back sparsely and are best left thin. My waist will never be like it was before I had babies. I love food too much. My thighs will always touch. They kinda have to in order to support the sizeable backside I've been dealt (thanks, Mom). My postpartum belly will remain soft and stretched out, no matter how many sit-ups or crunches I attempt. I'm sure my body is not "appropriate" in the eyes of the world, but it's mine. In the end, it won't matter. I don't want to be remembered for having toned abs and beach legs, especially by my kids. I want my children to remember me swimming with them in the pool or the ocean, not sitting on the side because I don't like how my body looks in a swim suit. I want them to remember pizza night and ice cream Sundays, caramel apples, and taco Tuesdays. They don't need to see me step on a scale to see how heavy I am today, or feel bad for eating a second or third cookie because I won't. We have one life. We need to enjoy it without the world telling us we shouldn't because it's "ugly".

No comments:

Post a Comment