Friday, September 9, 2016

September Blog Challenge: Day 9

List 10 people who have influenced you and describe how.

I have to list ten? I honestly can barely think more than one.

Shirley Manson (because duh). We're both middle kids, both struggled with our self-esteem, childhood, and being comfortable in our own skin. I was around 15 or 16 when I discovered Garbage and got hooked on their music. The lyrics spoke to me. I felt like I was reading my own stories. I was a severely depressed teen, dealing with unrequited love, self-inflicted injuries, etc. Shirley pulled me out of some dark times. She inspired me with a quote, "I say embrace the total geek in yourself and just enjoy it. Life is too short to be cool." Life is too short and dwelling on what other people think is exhausting. I shouldn't have to change my tastes or personality to please others, so I don't. I learned to be open-minded, something I didn't grow up with, as well as being honest with my feelings.

As for the other nine? I really don't know that many people who I think inspire me. I admire them, sure. But inspiration is something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment