Friday, November 16, 2018

False Alarm (some TMI)

Usually, I have OB appointments on Wednesday. This week, it was a Friday. Zac came home for lunch, as usual, and he helped me get the kids ready to go with me to the doctor. We left around the same time and I made it to my appointment. My blood pressure was normal, Bug had a great heartbeat and I'm measuring on target around 38 weeks. She asked how everything was going and my TMI was that my cervical goop has been much more watery than normal. She offered to check to see if I had a possible amniotic leak and pushed a very dry PH strip up to my cervix... twice, because the first one didn't read correctly and the second came back "abnormal". Then, she decided to check with her gloved finger without using a lubricant as to not alter the results, and I tried not to cry while she checked for a leak and dilation. I'm a fingertip dilated, which is just a centimeter, no biggie, but I was told to call Zac and head to the hospital for another check because if I was leaking, I'd most likely need my water broken and go ahead and have the baby. I was excited, nervous, and feeling a bit emotional as I gathered the big kids from the waiting room and we headed to the hospital. I called Zac and told him there was a chance we'd be having a baby today, to meet me at the hospital, so he left work and headed to the house to get my hospital bag. I called Mom with no answer (of course), so I had to call Rachel and tell her, then Mom called me back and would not hang up so I could get my GPS started. Meanwhile, Zac's car started smoking, so he had to wait nearly an hour for Mom to get to him and pick him up and come to the hospital. More on that in a sec.

I made it to the hospital and checked in, filled out some paperwork to get into the system, then had to lay there while I nurse pushed a long cotton swab up to my cervix and held it there for three minutes. #Awkward. The swab was sent to the lab and I got dressed and turned on the TV for the kiddos. About an hour later, I got my results back with a big fat Negative, as in it wasn't amniotic fluid, but they weren't sure what it could've been that caused the PH imbalance. Just as the nurse gave me the go-ahead to go home, Zac and Mom arrived. Apparently, she left 20 minutes after she said she did because she had already taken her sleep medication and needed to brew some coffee before heading out.

I left feeling super disappointed that I wouldn't be holding my littlest baby tonight, but him baking a bit longer is best for him, as much as I'm uncomfortable. BUT, at least I won't have to fill out paperwork when real labor kicks in and I've already got my bag ready, plus I'm starting to dilate. Progress is happening and it won't be much longer. We went to Ichiban for dinner because the kids and I hadn't eaten since 10am and it was past 4pm when I was discharged. Buffet felt right. I picked mainly spicy sushi in hopes of kickstarting labor.

No comments:

Post a Comment