Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Saint-like

I should've expected unsolicited comments after becoming a mother for the first time, starting with asking if I planned to add a daughter or sibling to my then-only child that we were still getting used to as first-time parents. But the comments followed after adding a daughter/sibling that we didn't need anymore since we had one of each and were *blessed*. But, did they have the same father? Jac is fair-skinned like me while Leah is noticeably darker so asking such questions in front of them is perfectly appropriate, as is asking "really??" after I say that yes, they are from the same father.

Now that I have four kids, it happened. I was in Hobby Lobby because I've decided to take the plunge into candle-making. I'm very much excited about it and it's something I've been wanting to do for a while now. I headed to the checkout with Jac and Leah in front of me following Zac. Cole was strapped to my torso, and I was pulling Elias by a measuring tape he insisted he needed and refused to let go of. A woman and her husband passed the big two, but paused next to me with her mouth agape.

"Are they all four YOURS?"
- Yes ma'am. *smile*
"My goodness, you are a SAINT. I could never." *places hand over heart*
- Yep. *awkward*
"Well, you certainly have your hands full. Good luck to you!" and she walked away, shaking her head.
- You too...?

I'm not offended, but mostly amused. I had heard of the fourth (and subsequent) kid "concerns". I'm proud of myself that where she "could never", I can. I'm lucky my hands are full because there are plenty of people out there whose hands are empty. Am I a saint? Don't ask the kids because they'll probably give an unsavory answer after a concerning hesitation and a glance in my direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment