Thursday, January 17, 2019

UTI and TMI

Are you getting sick of my bodily issues yet? I sure am.

I spoke with a nurse this morning and told her I was uncomfortable taking my new UTI prescription for ciproflaxocin because the side effects are somewhat "worse" than the nitrofurantoin that I had just finished last week. Cole has developed what looks like oral thrush from what I can only assume came from me taking the nitro, so I didn't want to risk it getting even worse with the cipro. I also asked her how bad the bacteria build up was since my results always show a "bad" UTI. She looked up my chart and said I really only have a mild UTI, not "really bad" as I was told the other day. I also let her know I believe I have asymptomatic bacteriuria, which explains my having zero UTI symptoms regardless of the bacteria. She also agreed that I may have killed off a lot of good bacteria from the frequent antibiotic use, so she recommended I go a natural route to build up my good bacteria. I need to drink water, cranberry juice, and orange juice, as well as take a probiotic and eat a lot of yogurt. I'm perfectly fine with that because I hate taking medication, especially antibiotics. Plus, I don't want anything passing through my breastmilk that will do more harm to Cole. This assumed thrush on his tongue looks gross enough as it is and I'm almost certain I'm developing symptoms of having it in my right nipple and that boob isn't emptying completely anymore, even with the pump. I had it when I was breastfeeding Leah and it was incredibly unpleasant. I'm hoping my probiotic use will help his thrush, but I plan to use gentian violet like I did with Leah. It worked quickly and smelled nice, even though it turned my milk light purple.

No comments:

Post a Comment