Monday, January 4, 2021

School Year 2021

In the past, I started teaching in September or August and we'd finish up sometime in June. In 2019, I started teaching in September, then found out my kids were skipping assignments and lessons, so I had them restart the school year. We didn't finish until October 2020... A whole year of school. I was so burnt out. I was mad at myself for slacking with Elias, for not being more attentive over the lessons and checking work, etc. So, I gave us all a break, then decided we would start the school year with January. A New Year, a new year. This is 9th, 6th, and Kindergarten, with a tiny distraction who also wanted his picture taken. The day went well, Elias might be left-handed, and I'm hoping for a good first week. I'm doing things differently this time. We're only using Abeka for math since I can't wing it, but everything else: science, history, art, music, language, etc. will all come from the library and other sources. They're even learning their instruments (piano for Jac and recorder for Leah) and foreign language (Spanish). This month we're reading about Martin Luther King Jr. for history, as well as poisonous plants and edible flowers for science. I'm also having them learn about Egypt and for grammar, they're keeping a weekly journal. It's a little more relaxed and I think they'll enjoy it more. Elias will still be in a curriculum since I already bought it and he'll also be learning history and science along with the big kids. He already loves The Magic School Bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment