Monday, August 17, 2020

Bored & Stuff.

Things have been pretty uneventful. I rearranged my bedroom and brought things from Mom's back home, plus my old chest of drawers for Cole to use. In case I haven't mentioned it, we changed our minds about selling our house for now. The idea of moving back in with Mom was setting off my anxiety. I've been helping her clean her house a bit, and while I'm there, I'm reminded of why we moved out. I like coming back to my own house. I also quit coffee again... or at least most of the time. I'm still drinking tea, though. However, I'm looking forward to the pumpkin spice latte. It's almost autumn, which is my favorite, but this year just feels off and weird.

Yesterday, Zac and I were getting ready to take the kids on our daily bike ride, but the weather shifted and it was about to storm. We, except Jac who had fallen on his bike a few days before, decided to go a short route through the park. It had started raining before we left the driveway, but we went ahead. Zac and Leah were ahead of me and I spotted something on the trail. I got closer and it looked like a mouse, so I turned around. It was a baby squirrel, then I spotted two more. They were so tiny. I had the baby on my bike so it was awkward trying to stoop down to check if they were still alive. Two were still, but one was still breathing. I picked it up and tucked it in my sleeve, then accidentally let the bike (gently) tip over, which upset Cole for a brief moment. I got us up and going, caught up with Zac and we hurried back to the house as the rain came down more. Zac called an emergency vet, but they don't take wildlife, so they referred him to a rehabilitation center 20 minutes away. I hopped in the van with Leah, baby squirrel in tow, and headed to the lady's house. As much as I wish this story had a happy ending, little girl squirrel passed shortly after I dropped her off. I'm glad she wasn't alone in the rain on a bike trail, but was able to die in a pair of warm hands. It's sad, but I think Leah is considering the option of wildlife rehabilitation when she's older.

No comments:

Post a Comment