Monday, May 11, 2020

Bad Luck is Lucky

So, Saturday we did our Halloween. Zac was frying some homemade tortilla chips for lunch and spilled hot oil all over his hand. Luckily, the burn wasn't so bad, aside from a few small blisters. By the end of the night he was feeling better. We were watching a movie and I decided to grab a Tootsie Pop from one of the kids' buckets. I ended up chipping two teeth. Upon further inspection, I had "craze lines" on my second premolar, as well as a cracked filling in my second molar, both on the upper right side. Awesome. I texted a picture to my dentist and she was able to see me this morning. She fixed my filling and prepped my tooth for a crown in June. Currently, I've got a temporary one and my mouth is so very sore. Fast forward to this evening. After dinner, I decided to take two restless boys on a bike ride like we usually do. Leah begged to go, but her bike has recently had some issues with the chain coming loose, just as Jac's has been doing. We've been looking into getting the big kids new bikes for their birthdays. Anyway, she begged to ride my bike and even pulled out the crocodile tears. I told her, "Fine, ride my bike that's too big for you so if you fall, there won't be anything I can do" because I've got TWO kids riding along with me. So, she hops on. We make our usual route that's about four miles long (maybe five?) and we head to the street that gives a nice hill to coast down almost to the end of the street and it's nearest to our house. Zac's bike has bigger tires than mine so it coasts a little farther. I looked behind me and Leah was a little ways back, so I started to slow down to wait for her to catch up. Then the inevitable happened. I heard Leah scream "Mom!" and then followed it with "Nothing's broken but it hurts!". A vehicle was coming towards me, I was trying to turn around and get back to her while worrying about cutting in front of the car, or will the car hit her since she's on the ground, along with OMG. The car stopped, thankfully, and I was able to turn around safely. A neighbor was outside nearest to Leah and he ran to get my bike off her. Another neighbor was coming toward us from the other direction in a truck and stopped to check on us. Second neighbor offered to take Leah and me back to the house to drop her off, then offered to bring me back to get my boys from First neighbor who offered to walk with them on Zac's bike toward our house. Part of me felt the "stranger danger" fear, but logic won and I trusted them both. I put my bike in the back of the truck (and knocked my head hard enough to create a lump) and we got Leah home. I jumped back in the truck and we drove to meet up with the first neighbor to get the boys. First neighbor said Elias was a treat, just chattering away. I thanked them both and climbed on Zac's bike, only for Elias to move wrong and send us over into the grass. None of us were hurt, but jeez, of course. The neighbors helped sturdy the bike for me, I got back on, and thanked them again before pedaling home. Meanwhile, I could hear Leah freaking out and sobbing in the kitchen from the street, so I came in and started getting her doctored up. She has a huge abrasion (kinda gross) on her left knee with a smaller one right above it, an abrasion on her left palm, as well as on her left hip. She's covered in bandages, but is doing alright. She doesn't need any stitches and nothing seems to be broken, aside from her spirit. Poor thing apologized for being a dummy and not listening (lol), but she's a tough little bird. I'm glad it wasn't worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment