Tuesday, September 13, 2016

September Blog Challenge: Day 13

Describe five weaknesses you have.

I'm a big procrastinator. If I didn't have Zac or one of the kids remind me, I wouldn't be posting every day for this blog challenge. If I have to choose between washing laundry or vacuuming, I choose crochet. I suppose I get overwhelmed when I see the pile of laundry, just sitting there in its basket looking at me. But washing has to be done, so I'll wash more clothes and they are added to the already too-big heap. I'm working on it, though. Most days, I'll make a to-do list. I am better at following a to-do list than just spontaneously cleaning something.

I hate being the center of attention. Having Elias' baby shower was absolutely horrifying (though so very thoughtful and much appreciated) because everyone was looking at me. Even my wedding was awkward and we're planning a vow-renewal next month to do it again. I get super uncomfortable if any attention is brought to me, even if it's something as small as being told "good job".

I don't like small talk. It's boring and something people feel obligated to do. I'll participate because it's the right thing to do, but it's something I'm reluctant to volunteer.

It's hard sticking to a routine. When I was doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred, I did it every day for about three weeks. I lost 15 pounds, was fitting in my "skinny" jeans, and had so much endurance compared to my pre-workouts. Then the Red Queen dropped by and I stopped for a week. The procrastination happened, the weight came back, and chips never tasted so good. I've been trying to get back into a workout routine, but as a procrastinator, I put it off and before I know it, it's been three months. Three months during which I could be more fit, healthier, toned up, etc. Nobody to blame but me.

I'm passive. When I would go places with friends, they'd ask what I wanted to do and I always responded with "It doesn't matter to me" or "Whatever you want to do" while I really wanted to do something specific. I feel this particular flaw developed during childhood as a middle child. On paydays, Dad would pile us in his "big van" (16-seat vanpool) and we would go to Wendy's for Meredith, Taco Bell for Carlton, and McDonald's for Emily. If I wanted Burger King, I was told to pick a burger from McDonald's or Wendy's. I learned to just say "Up to you" and go along with the plans.

I'm working on some of these weaknesses because I want my children to see that it's okay to say "no" or to say what they really want/think/feel and be honest. I'm trying to teach routine with school and bedtimes, as well as trying not to procrastinate. Getting things done means they don't loom overhead for later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment