Friday, September 16, 2016

September Blog Challenge: Day 16

What are your five greatest accomplishments?

Giving up cigarettes was the hardest thing I ever had to change about myself. I smoked from age 11 to 25 (stopping while pregnant and breastfeeding, of course). I tried to quit multiple times over the years, but always found my way back to them. However, on New Year's Eve 2009, I smoked my last cigarette and never picked one up again. It's been nearly 7 years and I don't miss them.

I struggled with an eating disorder and self-harm in middle school through high school. I was severely depressed and trying to find a light at the end of a very dark tunnel. I started blogging as a way to cope, but realized I was saving all the negative energy by writing about it. I decided to start over and created this blog to focus on all the positive things that go on in my life. It's worked. After about a year, I didn't feel depressed anymore. I'm not saying blogging will work for everyone, but it helped me immensely.

One of my favorite accomplishments is becoming a mom. It's cliché, but it's true. I always wanted to be a mom and after being devastated by two different doctors who told me I would never have a baby due to PCOS, I'm truly blessed that I have brought three into this world. I can't imagine my life without them.

I taught myself how to cook and have come to enjoy it. Growing up, I never had the experience of being in the kitchen with Mom and a grandma or aunt, helping or being taught anything. After Zac and I started living together, we started learning together. Neither of us wanted to live on Ramen noodles or macaroni, so we started cooking together. I'll admit, he's a much better cook than I am, but my confidence has definitely grown and I've been getting the kids involved.

My last accomplishment is homeschooling. I was homeschooled, which I both liked and disliked. When Jac was reaching his Kindergarten age, I felt panic at the thought of him being away by himself, learning new things that I could teach him, and not being there. He's my first baby and it was a huge change for me. Zac convinced me to enroll him, so I did. Jac didn't make friends and was bullied most of the time both in the classroom and on the bus. I had parent-teacher meetings to find the root of the problems, but nothing changed. He had allergies and overactive tonsils, so his weekends were spent in the emergency room or at the doctor's office. He was miserable at school and didn't want to go back. Once the school year finished, I researched homeschool curriculums and picked the one I was raised on. I don't agree with the gender stereotypes and the overly religious subject matter, but the teaching procedure is easy to follow and easy to explain. I love the leniency of making my own schedules, planning vacations, and taking days off throughout the year. I love being able to wake and make breakfast without rushing around filling lunch boxes. Sure, I have days where I wonder what I was thinking, but those are very few. I love relearning the grammar terms and math techniques. The quality time is wonderful, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment